A century old company with a legacy of innovation
In 1903, National was founded on one of the largest, purest, and most easily accessible limestone deposits in the world.
For generations, people with imagination, innovation, and determination have built National Lime and Stone into one of the nation’s strongest, most dependable
sources of crushed stone, sand, gravel, and industrial mineral products in the world. The people who are currently part of the National Lime and Stone family
are unrelenting in their efforts to see that in the company’s second century, the best is yet to come!
2018 Acquired Putnam Aggregates Company, LLC in Ottawa, Ohio; Opened a site in Martins Ferry, Ohio, that combined a new, high capacity asphalt plant with the Company’s existing rail distribution yard
2017 Opened a new, high capacity sand and gravel operation in South Columbus, Ohio
2016 Acquired a sand and gravel operation in Grove City, Ohio; Opened a site in Cambridge, Ohio, that combined a new, high capacity asphalt plant with a new rail distribution yard; Opened a second rail distribution yard in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Opened a new water distribution yard along the Ohio River near New Martinsville, West Virginia
2015 Opened a site in Cadiz, Ohio, that combined an asphalt plant with a rail distribution yard; Opened a new water distribution yard along the Ohio River near Marietta, Ohio
2014 Acquired Lash Paving, Inc., with asphalt plants in Martins Ferry, Cadiz, and Empire, Ohio
2013 Won the Northeast Oil & Gas Award for Specialty Industry Supplier of the Year in the Utica Shale; opened a recycled concrete yard in West Columbus
2012 Acquired Chesterville Sand & Gravel; Opened a new rail distribution yard in Martins Ferry, Ohio
2011 C. Paul Palmer IV named President
2010 Opened new rail distribution yards in Cleveland, Ohio and Erie, Pennsylvania
2009 Opened four new rail distribution yards in eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania; one of the new distribution yards is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and becomes the Company’s first location outside Ohio
2007 Acquired J.P Sand & Gravel in South Columbus and Suever Stone in Delphos Ohio
2006 Entered the aggregates recycling business in the Columbus market
2005 Opened a new sand and gravel operation in Upper Sandusky, Ohio
2002 Acquired Hamilton Quarry in Marion, Ohio, as well as Delaware County Materials and Penry Quarries in Delaware, Ohio
2000 The Columbus Region Plant is upgraded and becomes the only fully-fractionating plant in Ohio for custom designed construction aggregate products
1997 The quarry in Bucyrus, Ohio is upgraded with a high capacity, automated processing plant
1996 The quarry in Marion, Ohio is upgraded with a new portable processing plant; Opened rail distribution yards in Akron, Canton and Wooster, Ohio
1994 Developed a process to pelletize limestone fines and established EcoPhrst line of products for agricultural and horticultural applications
1992 Original quarry in Findlay, Ohio is reclaimed and renamed Lake Cascades, becoming the new corporate headquarters, and offers a mixed use development of commercial and residential sites
1989 Opened a new, high capacity, automated quarry in Findlay, with automated rail car loading capabilities for ballast products
1988 Opened a sand and gravel operation in Upper Sandusky, Ohio
1986 The quarry in Lima, Ohio is upgraded with a high capacity, automated processing plant
1984 Acquired Western Ohio Stone in Lima
1983 Purchased Wapakoneta Sand & Gravel in Wapakoneta, Ohio
1980 Carleton P. Palmer III becomes President. He became CEO in 1988 and Chairman of the Board in 1992. He continues to serve as Chairman and CEO.
1961 Expanded into the greater Columbus market with the acquisition of Scioto Lime & Stone Co. in Delaware, Ohio
1950 C. Paul Palmer, Jr. becomes President. He served as President from 1950 to 1980 and as Chairman of the Board from 1964 until his retirement in 1992.
1948 Reclaimed the quarry in Arlington, Ohio into a recreational park for employees, showcasing a commitment to environmental excellence that continues to guide the Company to this day
1948 Acquired a quarry in Buckland, Ohio
1938 Acquired Marion Sand & Gravel, in Marion, Ohio
1937 Expanded into the concrete business in Lima, Ohio with two trucks and a concrete mixing plant
1935 Acquired the Lima Stone Company in Lima
1930 Added a washing and reclaiming plant at quarry in Marion, Ohio, as well as a washing plant in Lima, Ohio
1929 Acquired a controlling interest in Ohio Blue Limestone and its quarry in Marion, Ohio
1927 Moved corporate headquarters office to Findlay, Ohio
1926 Established one of the first laboratories in the industry at Carey, Ohio; the lab is used to support quality control and product development efforts
1926 Constructed Lime Plant #2 in Carey, Ohio
1926 Acquired National Quarries, which operated quarries in Lima and Bucyrus, Ohio
1926 Acquired Bluffton-Lewisburg Stone Company, which added quarries in Findlay, Bluffton, Lewisburg, Rimer, and Arlington, Ohio
1920 “We Like The Lime Business” slogan used to advertise the Company’s hydrated lime products
1914 I.N. Bushong, a business partner of J.H. Edwards and W.W. Edwards, becomes a member of the board of directors. His ancestors continue to serve on the board.
1906 Carleton P. Palmer, Sr., son in law of J.H. Edwards, becomes a member of the board of directors and served as Chairman of the Board from 1943 until his death in 1944.
1903 The National Lime and Stone Company is formed, consisting of a lime manufacturing and quarrying operation in Carey, Ohio. The founders include J.H. Edwards and W.W. Edwards, who are ancestors of the Company’s current executive leadership and board of directors.